- Working according to principles of Functional Medicine (read more about functional medicine approach here) and according to five nature-oriented principles (for more info check BATC professional association, I am a member of)
- General and Family Nutrition
- Gut Health, Human Gut Microbiome, Probiotics, Prebiotics, Dietary Supplementation
- General Health Complaints (such as digestive problems, acne, allergies, eczema, irritable bowel syndrome, thyroid problems, tiredness, headaches, low immunity, stress-related complaints, poor sleep, PMS, depression, anxiety, ADHD, ADD, insulin resistance, weight issues, joint pains, and other chronic complaints)
- Interpretation of fecal microbiome results from MyMicroZoo
- Laboratory testing, such as fecal test analysis (digestion profile, basic gut microbiota, intestinal permeability marker, reactivity to gluten, histamine tolerance, parasitology, Helicobacter pylori, Candida/yeast overgrowth, intestinal inflammation & infection markers, tumor markers, pancreatic elastase and bile production), blood testing (routine blood testing, SKB blood test, food sensitivities, allergies), saliva testing (cortisol, DHEA, sex hormones), hair analysis (heavy metals, minerals), genetic testing, DNA methylation profile. Client covers the costs of laboratory tests.
- You are at the right place if you are ready to do some work and to implement lifestyle interventions if needed. My approach will not resonate with you if you are looking for a quick, one-time solution.
Most laboratory testing is requested via MGLab&Advies (fecal analysis), Atalmedial (blood analysis), RP Sanitas Humanus (saliva, blood, fecal, urine analysis), ProHealth (saliva, blood, fecal, urine analysis), and 23andMe or New Life Genetics for genetic analysis.
It’s very important for me that my patients feel at ease and that we have a quality time for thorough conversation, during our first appointment. I am eager to hear patient’s input, ideas and I want their motivated participation. Please note that the best results can be expected when the patient does actively participate in changing his behavior, diet, and lifestyle. When dealing with chronic disease, I focus on patient’s foundation – meaning diet, lifestyle and environment. We also look into possible nutrient imbalances, suboptimal gut health, the functioning of HPA axis (hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis). Depending on the individual case, we may look further into cellular dysfunction, toxic burden, hormonal imbalance, or chronic infection/immune dysregulation. My approach will not resonate with you if you are looking for a quick, one-time solution.
1st (Intake) consultation and 2nd consultation: the first consultation plays a vital part in your health journey. Prior to our first appointment I will ask you to complete health related questionnaires and I will ask you to send in any recent medical records you may already have. During the intake consultation we will discuss your health challenges, what you have tried so far, what’s worked and what hasn’t worked, and what your wishes are. We will talk about your diet, your life style, and we will also evaluate the questionnaires. We will gather all the clues of your past (health history starting from birth, your physical and emotional childhood environment, your relationships, traumatic events, etc.) and your present situation (stress level, nutrition, social life, relationships, physical activities, quality of sleep, symptoms, environmental toxins). Depending on the nature of your complaints, I will provide preliminary dietary recommendations and I will suggest laboratory testing to better evaluate your current health status and to better understand the possible root cause contributing to your health issues. Based on the findings of laboratory results, prior the 2nd consultation, I will provide you with a personalized plan to address your health issues. We will discuss the recommendations during our 2nd consultation.
Follow-up consultations: a number and a frequency of follow-up consultations is individual. Some people need more follow-ups whereas others are satisfied after 1-2 consultations. For chronic and more complex complaints regular follow-up consultations over a period of 1-3 months may be the most beneficial.
Optimal You package. What can you expect? This approach will allow us to work close together on meeting your health goals, by taking a step at the time. We will do some detective work; connect some dots and we will set realistic expectations and fine tune into your needs. We will try to make the process as easy as possible so you don’t feel overwhelmed. We will work as a team; I will provide you my genuine attention, I will guide you, teach you, support you, and motivate you to make your next step so you can have optimal results for your individual situation. I will keep you accountable so you stay on track. We will be evaluating your progress and adjusting along the way. We want to learn what works for you for best results. The advantage of this approach, in comparison to booking individual sessions, is our commitment to your health success. Being committed creates best results and I want You to succeed. Our goal is to build a good health foundation for you with a long-term impact. We want to work on restoring balance in your physiological processes so you can feel your optimal self. It may involve easing and reversing your symptoms, and in more complex cases preventing or slowing disease progression.
After competition of the “Optimal You” program you can expect to:
- Develop sustainable healthy habits
- Have better energy
- Have better sleep
- Have better digestion and healthier microbiota
- Have better understanding of your needs
- Have better understanding of a balanced diet
- Have better strategy to prioritize your needs
- Have the knowledge and tools to stay health
This approach is for you if you are ready and committed to put the effort to address your health challenges, to learn how to better listen to your needs, and if you are more likely to accomplish goals when you have guidance and accountability. This approach is not for you if you are looking for a quick, one-time solution.
MyMicroZoo related consultations: if you are interested in learning about your gut (fecal) microbiome you can order a test kit via the MyMicroZoo website and I can help you to translate the results into the nutritional support for your health and your microbiome health.
If you struggle with chronic health complaints, appropriate laboratory testing may be essential in order to assess your health status and reveal possible underlying cause(s) contributing to your symptoms, as well as to prepare an appropriate treatment plan. The testing depends on the patient and his/her needs, what they’re looking for, and what we need to find out. For example, a well selected blood panel will provide information about how the basic body systems are functioning. These should be crucial for everybody with chronic health issues. On the other hand, a fecal analysis provides different piece of information. It helps to assess your gut health. If your gut health is compromised it will affect your overall health. Importantly, lab testing is only one tool in evaluating your health, as your health history, signs and symptoms are equally important. All of that when put together will help to develop a proper action plan to your recovery. Medical laboratory testing plays a crucial role in the early detection, diagnosis and treatment.
Nutritional and supplementary advice is based on individual needs and on the principles of the orthomolecular science.
Functional medicine, with its emphasis on preventing and reversing disease rather than just suppressing symptoms with medication, can potentially save patients a lot of money over the course of their life, often proving more cost-effective than conventional medicine. The costs in conventional medicine may not be visible to the patient, since his insurance company deals with the bill, but that does not mean that the costs are not real – and it does not mean the patient isn’t paying for them in some form via insurance premiums, taxes and out-of-pocket expenses. When seeking functional medicine care, in the beginning the out-of-pocket expenses may be higher because of the testing, preventative care, diet, dietary supplements and lifestyle intervention which is an invest in patient’s health. And like with other good investments, patients will receive a return over time. The costs of my consultations, depending on the insurance package, may (partly) be reimbursed by a health insurer (in the Netherlands). To make sure, check it out with your health insurance company.
Individual Consultations & Consult Items
It’s possible to book single consults or go for the “Optimal You” Package. Single consults often work best for individuals who want to have a health check, upgrade their health whereas the package works best for individuals with chronic health challenges.
Discovery Call (optional) of 20 min: FREE
- To find out how I work, how I could support you in your health journey, and to see if it resonates with you
- Highly recommended for individuals who want to do the “Optimal You” Package Deal.
1st session: Intake consultation (in-person, phone or online video conference) of 75 – 90 min min: 165€
- Review of your healthy history, your symptoms, thorough intake forms, consideration of possible factors contributing to your complaints, discussing your goals
- Access to lab testing and testing suggestions (such as a fecal analysis for gut health, a blood test). Lab testing might provide more clarity about your health status.
- Dietary suggestions and lifestyle tips
- Indirect time spent on activities prior and after consultation such as review of medical records, email communication
All clients are required to complete a Health Intake Questionnaire through an online portal called Better Practice. The completed questionnaire must then be submitted at least 3 days before your consult, or your appointment will be cancelled.
2nd session: Lab results and Action plan consultation (phone or online video conference) of 60 min: 165€
- Laboratory findings will be explained
- Based on our findings an action plan (including steps, supplements, lifestyle tips) will be discussed
- Indirect time spent on activities prior and after consultation such as review of medical records, preparation of recommendations, communication
Follow-up/progress consultations (phone or online video conference) of 45 min including new recommendations and indirect time spent on consultation related activities: 120€
Optimal You Package: 1300€
- One 90-minute Intake consultation
- Five 60-minute consultations (every 2-5 weeks)
- Explanation of laboratory findings and recommendations
- Supportvia email or text between our sessions (the total of 150 minutes)
- Additional time spent on your case and on activities prior and after sessions such as writing recommendations, researching and reviewing the most recent medical literature and intervention options.
- Nutritional supplements and testing are both additional to the package costs.
- The advantage of this approach, in comparison to booking individual sessions, is our commitment to your health success. It’s like booking sessions with a personal trainer occasionally versus a set of sessions to achieve a certain goal. Being committed creates best results and I want You to succeed. Our goal is to build a good health foundation for you with a long-term impact.
- If you are interested in the Optimal You Package, please book the Intake Consult and mention your preference. You can also decide to choose this package during the Intake Consult.
MyMicroZoo results consultation (virtual call) of 60 min including interpretation of MyMicroZoo fecal microbiome results and preparation of written (nutritional) recommendations (in English): 165€
Email/telephone general short queries (appointment, invoice, etc): FREE
Email/telephone specific queries (supplementation, nutrition) 15 min: 30€
Request & interpretation of blood, fecal, saliva, hair or urine tests*, general genetic test* interpretation (New Life Genetics): 60€ per test/analysis
Genetic testing* analysis (such as 23andMe data): Interpretation of genetic profile (single nucleotide polymoprhism of MTHFR, COMT, MAOA, GST and other genes) with recommendations: 170€ per test
Expert Content consultations & reviews – please contact me for more information
Client covers the costs of laboratory tests. The costs vary depending on the test and the lab, and may range from 100€ up to 1000€ or more, for more comprehensive testing. For example, the basic fecal analysis costs approximately 250 – 300€. The routine blood test costs about 100-150€.
Please note that all service prices are inclusive VAT (21%).
Consultations take place in Amsterdam or virtually.
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or if you want to discuss any other tailor made services.
Health Insurance Reimbursement
Dr. Joanna is registered as a paramedical natural medicine practitioner at the professional association BATC (Stichting Belangen Associatie Therapeut en Consument) and her clients are eligible to health insurance reimbursement, however it varies per insurance company and individual package. Please check with your insurer if you are entitled to it. You may also check here to find out which insurance companies provide reimbursement for complementary health practices in 2020. Consults fall under “Natuurgeneeskundige therapieën/consulten”.
Registration details: Practitioner AGB code: 90103189; Practice AGB code: 90062583; BR code: 02537
ProBiotic DIGEST Appointment Cancellation Policy
- If for any reason you wish to cancel your appointment, you can do it without charge anytime 24 hours prior your appointment
- Same day cancellations will be charged 50% of the scheduled service price
- If you do not cancel your appointment or do not show up for your scheduled appointment, you will be charged full price for the scheduled service.
If you have a complaint regarding the use of your personal data then please contact us by email email@example.com and we will do our best to help you.
ProBiotic DIGEST holds some information about you. This document outlines how that information is used, who we may share that information with and how we keep it secure. This notice does not provide exhaustive detail. However, we are happy to provide any additional information or explanation needed. Any requests for this should be sent to the firstname.lastname@example.org.
What We Do
ProBiotic DIGEST provides natural medicine therapy services to clients to improve their health through diet and lifestyle interventions. We focus on preventative healthcare, the optimization of physical and mental health and chronic health conditions. Through therapy consultations, dietary and lifestyle analysis and laboratory testing, we aim to understand the underlying causes of your health issues which we will seek to address through personalized dietary therapy, nutraceutical prescription (supplements) and lifestyle advice. In addition, we also provide workshops and educational seminars.
How We Obtain Your Personal Data
Information provided by you
You provide us with personal data in the following ways:
– By completing a health questionnaire
– By signing a terms of engagement form
– During a therapy consultation
– Through email, over the telephone or by post
– By taking online payment
This may include the following information:
– basic details such as name, address, contact details and next of kin
– details of contact we have had with you such as referrals and appointment requests
– health information including your previous medical history, dietary, lifestyle, supplement and medicine details, health test results, clinic notes and health improvement plans
– GP contact information
We use this information in order to provide you with direct healthcare. This means that the legal basis of our holding your personal data is for legitimate interest.
Following completion of your healthcare we retain your personal data for the period of 15 years. This enables us to process any complaint you may make. In this case the legal basis of our holding your personal data is for contract administration.
Information we get from other sources
We may obtain sensitive medical information in the form of test results from laboratory testing companies. We use this information in order to provide you with direct healthcare. This means that the legal basis of our holding your personal data is for legitimate interest.
We may obtain sensitive information from other healthcare providers. The provision of this information is subject to you giving us your express consent. If we do not receive this consent from you, we will not be able to coordinate your healthcare with that provided by other providers which means the healthcare provided by us may be less effective.
How we use your personal data
We act as a data controller for use of your personal data to provide direct healthcare. We also act as a controller and processor in regard to the processing of your data from third parties such as testing companies and other healthcare providers. We act as a data controller and processor in regard to the processing of credit card and online payments.
We undertake at all times to protect your personal data, including any health and contact details, in a manner which is consistent with our duty of professional confidence and the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) concerning data protection. We will also take reasonable security measures to protect your personal data storage.
We may use your personal data where there is an overriding public interest in using the information e.g. in order to safeguard an individual, or to prevent a serious crime. Also where there is a legal requirement such as a formal court order. We may use your data for marketing purposes such as newsletters but this would be subject to you giving us your express consent.
Do you share my information with other organizations?
We will keep information about you confidential.
We may share your anonymous information with supplement companies and biochemical testing companies as part of providing you with direct healthcare. We will not include any sensitive information. We will only disclose your sensitive information with other third parties with your express consent.
We will seek your express consent before sharing your information with your doctor or other healthcare providers. However if we believe that your life is in danger then we may pass your information onto an appropriate authority (such as the police, social services in the case of a child or vulnerable adult, or doctor in case of self-harm) using the legal basis of vital interests.
We may share your case history in an anonymised form with our peers for the purpose of professional development. This may be at clinical supervision meetings, conferences, online forums, and through publishing in medical journals trade magazine or online professional sites. We will seek your express explicit consent before processing your data in this way.
What are your rights?
Every individual has the right to see, amend, delete or have a copy, of data held that can identify you, with some exceptions. You do not need to give a reason to see your data.
If you want to access your data you must make a subject access request in writing to email@example.com. Under special circumstances, some information may be withheld. We shall respond within 20 working days from the point of receiving the request and all necessary information from you. Our response will include the details of the personal data we hold on you including:
– Sources from which we acquired the information
– The purposes of processing the information
– Persons or entities with whom we are sharing the information
You have the right, subject to exemptions, to ask to:
- Have your information deleted
- Have your information corrected or updated where it is no longer accurate
- Ask us to stop processing information about you where we are not required to do so by law or in accordance with the BATC guidelines.
- Receive a copy of your personal data, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and have the right to transmit that data to another controller, without hindrance from us.
- Object at any time to the processing of personal data concerning you
We do not carry out any automated processing, which may lead to automated decision based on your personal data.
If you would like to invoke any of the above rights then please email Joanna Krzeslak-Hoogland at ProBiotic DIGEST at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What safeguards are in place to ensure data that identifies me is secure?
We only use information that may identify you in accordance with GDPR. This requires us to process personal data only if there is a legitimate basis for doing so and that any processing must be fair and lawful.
Within the health sector, we also have to follow the common law duty of confidence, which means that where identifiable information about you has been given in confidence, it should be treated as confidential and only shared for the purpose of providing direct healthcare. We will protect your information, inform you of how your information will be used, and allow you to decide if and how your information can be shared.
We also ensure the information we hold is kept in secure locations, restrict access to information to authorised personnel only, protect personal and confidential information held on equipment such as laptops with encryption (which masks data so that unauthorised users cannot see or make sense of it). We ensure external data processors that support us are legally and contractually bound to operate and prove security arrangements are in place where data that could or does identify a person are processed.
How long do you hold confidential information for?
All records held by the ProBiotic DIGEST will be kept for 15 years.